Feb 29, 2008

Cooking Kutsinta

I was in a cooking mood for the last couple of days. It was only after I visited Sher's
blog that it occurred to me to post a pic of what I've been cooking.

We're still flooded. I know now how it feels to live on an island. It's very cold and I figured good food seems appropriate.

Today, I decided to make some kutsinta for snacks. I love Kutsinta and I love the fact that it's not difficult to cook and you don't even have to bother buying a lot of ingredients. It tastes delicious as hell. No, I do not plan to turn this blog into a cooking blog, but I would love to share this food --



Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon lihiya (I don't know what that is in English)
1 teaspoon almond flavoring

Instructions
Mix the ingredients.
Pour into small container.
Steam for 20 to 30 minutes.
Served.

This can feed 2 to 4 people.


11 Gorgeous People Said --:

SheR. said...

Looks yummy!!1 I remembered two filipino bakers in London baking traditional breads! So delicious.. with sweet coconut inside!!!! Can't wait to try it again!!!

Tinggay said...

hee... thank you!
I know what bread you are referring to. It's my favorite too. We call it pandecoco. :)

SheR. said...

Got any recipe for me??? I rem my mates cooked the coconut with sugar for 3 hours. Just wondering if there's a secret recipe for the bread dough... mmmm...

Tinggay said...

I'd looked for a recipe for you.
But that particular bread though is fairly common around here.
They sell it for like $0.04 USD per piece.
But it's one of my favorite breads here.

Tinggay said...

Sher,
I found this recipe for you online --

Coconut Bread (Pandecoco)
For the brioche
4 cups all- purpose flour 4 eggs, beaten 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 package active dry yeast 1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded them cooled) ¾ cup sugar ¾ pound butter or margarine ¾ tablespoon salt

Coconut Filling
150 g shredded coconut 5 tbsp of coco jam

Egg Wash
1 egg yolk

In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients except the yeast. Add slowly the melterd butter, warm milk and eggs. Then dissolve the yeast in one tbsp of warm milk and add in the dough. Work on the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic. Keep covered in a warm place about 40 degrees Celsius until it sizes doubles. While the dough is rising, prepare the filling. Place the coco jam in a pan and cook over medium heat. Mix in the shredded coconut thoroughly. Soften the consistency by adding few tablespoon of water if coco jam is too sticky. Remove from the heat and allow cooling. Set aside. When the dough is ready; knead again for the second time. You can add some flour to facilitate the task. Make some balls of about 2 inches in diameter and flatten slightly. In the center of dough, place one tablespoon of the coconut filling. Fold the dough over the filling and seal the edges. Let the dough rise again for about 30 minutes under the same condition. Brush with egg yolks the top to give a golden crispy touch and bake for 20-30 minutes at 190 degrees celsius.

Crissy said...

I like pandecoco and kutsinta. :)

SheR. said...

Thanks Piebuko!!!! *big kiss* You're a star!
I always believe that the simplest food is the best! :)

The_Sphinx's World said...

I didn't know that we can use flour instead of ground "malagkit" (sticky rice). Pwede pala. That makes baking cuchinta easier, like puto. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

Tinggay said...

Crissy, aren't they the best?! I especially love the kutsinta with coconut scrapings on top. :)

Sher, you're welcome! :)

Sphinx, guess what? I didn't know you were supposed to use Malagkit. I always thought flour was fine! :) hehe

Anonymous said...

Rapsa !!!!!!!!!
Naman.......
Could you deliver one dozen for me........

Anonymous said...

hello!!!!!