Feb 29, 2008

Not Infatuation but Love

I've had my own fair share of infatuations. I still blush out of sheer embarrassment every time I'd remember the objections of these infatuations. I would even cringe when I would remember how I embarrassed myself!

It's funny how love is so different from being infatuated. Sometimes, I'd find myself amaze about how I, sometimes, finish a meal with my husband without us saying any word at all. It didn't even occurred to us that we should talk. We were just so comfortable with each other that we need not speak without getting all flustered up -- without even noticing that we haven't spoken for 30 minutes or so.

I remember my bestfriend telling me, "I'm in love."
And I thought, "In just two weeks, bes?!"
But then I remembered she said she's in love. I guess there lies the difference of being in the state of being "in love" and actually "loving" someone.

What's the difference?

I cannot say it any better than this --

That is what infatuation is: the creation of an image of someone, without advising that someone as to what the image is… But it was different from love. Love was worth everything, and couldn’t be exchanged for anything.
(The Valkyries)

Love is what remains after the firecrackers.
It is the ember of the flaming fire.
It is the aftermath of a home run.
It is the silent breathing after a long night of passion.
It is the silent morning after a storm.

Ironically, love takes in the fire from firecrackers, the thrill of a home run, the passion of sex, the rage of a storm and creates something better from all of it. It creates something eternal.




2 Gorgeous People Said --:

SheR. said...

Guess Love gives one long terms of Happiness or Sadness.
Love makes one give up material things and be contented with a nice warm hug on a cold winter night.
Love is...:)

SOUL AFLAME said...

What a wonderful post.

For me love is the most important thing in my life, without it I would not be whole, nor complete.

My wife is the most important person in my life, and just being together is so special. Every day is a bonus, and I live each day as if it were my last (not in a sad way of course).

Reaching out to that special someone is, to me at least, the essence of life itself.