Feb 9, 2008

Questions about the Genesis


I went to Church today.
The reading was about the Genesis. Now, what I don't understand is that the Church admits that this part of the bible is purely fiction. Why are they reading this in Church? Why are they teaching this?
Catholics are baptized to remove the original sin which apparently was committed by Adam and Eve.
If the story was fiction, why do we still have original sin?
Can somebody explain this to me?

4 Gorgeous People Said --:

Anonymous said...

The original sin... The current pope has debunked that belief i think...;-)

Tinggay said...

I didn't know that it was debunked. To my knowledge, I thought what was debunked was the belief that there was a limbo where unbaptized babies go, not the original sin. Then why are they teaching it still? And what is the reason now for the Catholic baptism, if not to remove the supposedly original sin?

Anonymous said...

First off, any church that believes that any part of the Bible is fiction is a huge red flag that you're going to the wrong church. I don't know what you believe, but the Christian faith relies on Genesis to explain how God created the world and why there is sin. Most of all, the book explains God's commitment and love for His children, despite our weaknesses and failures.

Your questions are reasonable - I strongly recommend you seek a church that accurately reflects Scripture. I had no idea Catholic churches in the Philippines would tell you such outrageous things. And btw, baptism itself will not remove sins. Baptism is simply a public demonstration of your commitment to renew your mind, body, and heart to the Lord. It's not essential to your salvation but strongly encouraged. Salvation alone comes from believing in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior who forgave you for past, present, and future sins. You don't need a priest to make this happen - it's all about having a personal relationship with someone who loves you eternally.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me - mlouie613(at)gmail.com. I'm no pastor or biblical scholar but I do know enough about the Bible to know when you are being terribly misled. I'm also very curious to know the name of the church that told you this terrible lie. I'm hoping it wasn't a lie, but perhaps a miscommunication/misunderstanding of what was taught?

Tinggay said...

Hello Mewie,

I went to a Catholic school where we had Religion classes. The religion was primarily Catholic. It was run by Catholic priest and our teachers were seminarians and priests as well. Even then, we were informed that the Genesis is actually what they believe happened. That it had no historical basis. That it was not true, in fact.

I had a talk about this with another priest, Catholic -- who told me the same thing. He explained though that the people who wrote the Genesis were enlightened by the Holy Spirit and that it was the Holy Spirit guiding them to write the story. But then again, there was no historical basis or proof for it.

I don't know if you have actually talked with a Catholic priest about it, but you should try. I believe that this is the same all over. We are Roman Catholics and the doctrines here are purely based in what the Vatican says. This is why when the Pope declared the inexistence of Limbo, the Churches here followed suit proclaiming it.