Feb 13, 2008

Spelling or Spileng?

You'd find humor from the strangest places. Unfortunately, these humorous things also reveal the social truth that defines the kind of education most Filipinos receive.

While on the way home from Legaspi, we were sitting in front of the van and ahead of us was a truck which had a writing on the back required to be posted by the Land Transportation Office. After I read the crudely written message, I was struck by the hilarity of it and I suddenly started laughing. It was almost dark so I couldn't take a shot of the truck. The truck owner probably instructed one of his employees to write the government required posting. And the employee wrote --



















I was reminded of this when an hour ago, Erbe and I went out to get the barangay captain to sign the forms that the postal office required from me. On the way home, we passed by a small *turo-turo that posted the *merienda being sold. The turo-turo owner wrote --













Soap?! Oh, you mean soup, Madam? I was greatly tempted to correct her but I let it go, instead I bought five servings of her great-tasting Macarone Soap for the family.

*turo-turo - a small cafeteria-like establishment where you point at the food you would want to eat. Turo means point.
*
Merienda - snack


8 Gorgeous People Said --:

SheR. said...

Oh.. I see there everywhere even in London. And some really bad grammar from the English themselves. Hm..

Tinggay said...

Really? The truth is I can't really blame it in the education system. We try. We really do. My husband is a teacher. The sad truth is that majority of the Filipinos barely finish 6th grade. Poverty does not allow them to go to school. They are forced to work in order to eat. I guess this is the same in most third-class countries.

I asked a kid from my neighborhood once what she wants to be when she grows up. You see, I live in a poverty-stricken neighborhood. This kid's family sells fruits for a living. They roam around the city in push carts selling fruits. I was saddened by her answer. She said, "Of course, I'm going to sell fruits!" She said it in a way that she expressed her irritation at my seeming stupidity.

SheR. said...

Eeks. Pardon my bad english in the previous comment. Hand and brain not coordinated.
My mum grew up the same way. Her parents couldn't afford to send her to school. She went to Primary two (for 8 year olds) for one year at the age of 12. Then no more school even though she is really good with mathematics. Without much education, she taught herself how to read and write in Chinese.
Even when I was young, my family struggled to send me and brother to school. My mother worked really hard to support the entire family and now she's not too good cos she never had a day of rest in her whole life. I miss her.

Tinggay said...

She's not feeling well? Is she sick? She's in Singapore?

SheR. said...

My mama has hypertension and her kidneys might fail :(
I felt so bad for not being by her side but I can't stay in Singapore to be a chef. I will never make anything out of it. That's why I chose to come back to Europe to try again. Hope I can be successful soon and I'll provide a better life for her!

Tinggay said...

Do you know that I always had this stereotyped image of my head of Singaporeans -- that they are all filthy rich. I didn't know where I get that. I guess the image of Singapore here in this country is that it's squeaky clean where everybody smells good. It goes with the territory of being in a country where a quarter of my countrymen are trying to get into to work. So, it's kind of surprising to read your comment. It's the same sentiments we have for going out of the country. Most of them would say that they too just want to help their family out. :)

SheR. said...

Well.. chefs and bakers are not earning much in Singapore.
I'm still a struggling chef/baker who wants to pursue her passion more than the monetary gains of her profession.
But if I stay in Singapore, I won't even have enough to survive. Everything in sg is too expensive.

Tinggay said...

More expensive than living in Europe? Really?! That's interesting!