May 4, 2008

Elisabeth Fritzi -- Austria's System Latest Victim or Just Her Father's?

This news story shocked and disgusted me. Curiously, however, I devour every little detail I could get from it. It's a humiliating morbid curiosity that I probably share with everyone who has read and followed this gruesome story.

My memory of my father while growing up were good ones. He would usually wake us up on Sundays in such ungodly hour -- 4 in the morning -- to go to Church with him. My sister and I were really pissed off. We would be nodding our heads off, trying not to sleep while the priests drone on and one about some sins that we didn't even know of at that time.

By the time the one-hour mass is over, my sister and I would be completely awake and we would walk to town with our father to buy bread.

I remember my father tugging my hair whenever I would have migraines and he would tell me stories until I would fall asleep.

Those are good memories, huh? This is probably I almost vomited when I read the story of Elisabeth Fritzi in Austria. The daughter who was repeatedly raped and locked in the cellar by her monster father.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, was raped repeatedly since being lured into the dungeon built below the family home in a small Austrian town. Police said she had been "broken" by the experience.

Josef Fritzl, 73, admitted to police that all the children were his.

Three of them - Kerstin, 19, Stefan, 18, and Felix, five - were held captive with their mother in a series of windowless rooms and never saw the sunlight until they were freed on Saturday.

Incredibly, three others, Alexander, 12, Monika, 14, and Lisa, 16, were raised in the home by Fritzl and his wife. They were adopted by the couple and went to school, leading apparently normal lives.

The other child, a twin, died shortly after birth and the body burned by Fritzl in a boiler. Detectives today revealed details of the complex of rooms where Elisabeth was held since August 1984.

The three children kept prisoner with her were born there and are thought to have spent their entire lives underground.


I followed this story and I am still following it. As much as it horrifies me, I seem to be morbidly curious. It haunts me. I cannot believe how such evil could possibly exists.

People are saying that this story is the shadow of the Swastika.

The truth is that, for Austria, the Nazi era is a can of stinking worms that the country has fought for more than half a century to keep the lid on.

While Germany has largely overcome the darkest pages of its history by laying them bare, apologising and facing up to the past in order to build a new future, Austria never underwent this catharsis.

The result is that the whole of modern Austria is in denial about its recent past; its national identity has been founded on a tissue of lies and wishful thinking.

There is a disturbing parallel between the way respectable Austrians choose to bury the truth about the country's Nazi history and the manner in which the apparently respectable Fritzl covered up his monstrous behaviour in the cellar.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Perhaps. That author calls it Austria's institutionalized schizophrenia. You could blame it on the system. You could blame it on the society that perhaps gave Fritzi the Nazi way of thinking. But I believe, in the end, he is completely accountable for his actions.

He is a man with half humanity or perhaps with no humanity at all. I have heard of incest. Our region is flooded with reports of incest and it horrifies me, but nothing has practically made me vomit as much as this one.

Austria's highest penalty for crimes like this is 15-year imprisonment. 15 years?! He does not deserve that kind of mercy. The appropriate punishment is 24 years, locked in a 5'6" cellar with no one to talk to. This does not even answer for the repeated rapes or the murder of one of the children.

I have never embraced my daughter as tightly as I did after I heard this story.

If you're wondering if the mother knew about it, she said she didn't. I doubt it though. I think she was just too scared to do anything about it. I don't know if she was a coward, a broken woman or an evil woman like her husband.

6 Gorgeous People Said --:

Tinggay said...

It's true. Unfortunately. Look it up. It's horrible.

SheR. said...

I'm following the news like you do too. It's scary!
I never had a father. And when I was young my mum will always tell me stories about fathers raping their own daughters. Horror stories that no one could fathom!

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of my Family Violence class. That class scared me! we read about boys being raped, girls being raped, people being raped by step dads, even though fewer some women raping/ molesting.

Now when i go out, and see a dad with his kid, and they are too close I feel weird, & hope he's not a molester.

Saerise said...

This is so disturbing to even think about. I guess it's easier to go through life without suspecting everyone of doing this, but when it is finally discovered that some are doing this kind of thing, it really makes you think about how well you really know a person.

I have serious questions about the wife...how did she not figure this out? I mean, if three kids suddenly showed up, I'd be a little more than curious, especially if they bore some resemblance to my husband and daughter who just "disappeared" or something..I mean, is she that stupid?

Anonymous said...

They should put him in a cell without light for the remainder of his life. With no contact to the outside world or anyone. Alone in a padded cell with no windows. Water and food to keep him alive.

Anonymous said...

So sad- this is alarming. disgusting, i too wanted to vomit after reading and hearing the news of this monster!