Nov 14, 2008

A Conversation with Paige's Playmates

These little girls are Paige's playmates. They are Camille and Sheila May, 5 and 6 years old. They are supposed to be in school, but obviously they are not. Camille explained why.

This reminds me of another girl living in this neighborhood. She's 16 and knocked up already. When she was about 9 years old, I asked her what she wants to be when she grows up. I was expecting her to say something like, "a teacher or a nurse." you know, the usual.

I was surprised when she snorted and quite irritably told me that, of course, she's going to sell fruits when she grows up. She said it in a way that she expected me to know better. She gave me the impression that I asked a very stupid question. You see, her whole family sells fruits. They go around the city pushing a cartload of fruits.

At the time, I thought it was sad that she didn't think there was anything out there for her - and she was nine! I was not surprised though. Her uncle, our friend, was trying to get into a public high school. He was already 17 but he wanted to finish High School. When he asked his father for P500.00 to pay for entrance fee. His father scolded him and told him to just sell the goddamn fruits. It's sad really.

I think many Filipinos actually grow up not knowing that they could do better. Thus, many accept what they perceive to be their fate and end up getting knocked up at 16.






"Review My Post and Get Paid! Seriously!"

0 Gorgeous People Said --: