Feb 15, 2009

The Horrors of Confession


Do you still remember your sins back in October 1988?
I do!

Let me see.

  • I did not pray my morning and night prayers.
  • I did not hear mass for several Sundays.
  • I got things which were not mine.
  • I spoke bad words.
  • I cheated in class.
  • I told lies.
  • I quarrel with others.
  • I look at bad pictures.

There!

Those are the sins that my 2nd grade class adviser taught us to confess in preparation for our First Holy Communion. I studied in a Catholic School, so that basically explains why we had to confess in the first place.

Earlier this evening, I remembered these sins. In truth, I have never forgotten them. I have been using them for years every time I need to confess.

It just occurred to me though that I was made to confess that "I looked at bad pictures" when I was 8 years old. Effing Perverted teacher! Really? Looking at bad pictures?! I'd bet that was her sin! :)

I also remembered how scary it was back then to say our confession. We usually would queue and wait for our turn. I would find myself praying that I don't end up queuing for the horrid priests or the deaf ones.

Seriously!

You would have a priest screaming at you for not speaking out loud. It's embarrassing because you could end up confessing not only to him but also to some of your classmates who are all standing behind you -- gleefully waiting to hear something interesting.


You could also end up confessing to a priest who would really get mad when you say, "I did not hear mass last Sunday."

You would have him screaming and waving his cane at you as well. You would also get a good scolding -- that everyone would hear. What I would do then when I end up confessing to this particular priest was to leave that piece of sin off the list (which was always written on the palm of my hand).

Unfortunately, this means that I'd be left with a mortal sin (yes! we were taught that not going to Church is a mortal sin).

Now, the dilemma comes when I would once again fall in line to receive communion. You see, if I take communion with a mortal sin, it would mean eternal damnation - hell! hell! hell! I could not even sit out the communion part because I'd be left conspicuously alone on the seat while everyone else falls in line to receive their bread of life.

I'd then find myself worrying about burning in hell for all eternity -- and all this trouble started with a deaf and scary priest.


Scary memories. :)

By the way, you can confess or read other people's shocking and interesting confessions here.





"Review My Post and Get Paid! Seriously!"

5 Gorgeous People Said --:

Anonymous said...

...for this and all the sins of my past life, i ask pardon from God and penance from you..

he he he

back in 2nd year highschool, one of my buddies took one of our girl classmates to a motel here in naga where they made out..

tell me,

how do you insert that particular sin in our school confession script?

ha ha ha!!

Tinggay said...

bimbo, who are these classmates???
grabe curious lang! :)

Anonymous said...

he he, sekret!

pero madam neo confronted me with it and asked me why my friend did it..

sabi ko:

"sultero kaya ma'm"

wahahahaha!!

then one year later, i heard from my friend that they took this particular girl to pasacao,

where 8 of our classmates took turns with her there on the beach! 0_o

Bilib it or not!!! O_o

even in St. Jo, we have these kind of stories! he he he

Tinggay said...

ha? ha?! seriously?!?!?!
"magkano gusto mo para sa impormasyon?" :)
gawd! sisay yan??????????

Anonymous said...

ehe he, ask manay jing. wouldnt want to post her name here (baka ma spider). pero i'm sure some of your classmates (christine, rose, etc) have some inkling of what happened then. happy digging! ^_^