Jun 19, 2009

Fruit vs. Prut

Being a Josephian, I am very particular about pronunciation. This is one of the reasons why I hesitated when my mother "semi-enrolled" Paige at a nearby school. I wasn't just sure of what she would learned. I gave in though. I figured she's just two, so what the heck. At least we'd get two hours of reprieve every day.

Anyway, Paige's hobby is to watch countless of cartoons and movies, and her current favorite is Mary Poppins. As one would expect, she is constantly singing the songs in the movie.

"spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down..."
"supercalifragilisticexpialidocious..." (although she can hardly pronounce the darn word)
"let's go fly a kite, up to the highest heights"

This afternoon though while I was eating my breakfast/lunch, I heard Paige singing,

"saging, saging, saging

saging, saging, saging
PRUT (fruit) salad
PRUT salad."

Dismayed is an understatement. I literally panicked. I grabbed her and instructed her on the correct pronunciation. Do you think the teacher would mind though if Paige would correct her? I told Paige to tell her teacher the correct pronunciation is "fruit"? For god sakes!



----------------
Listening to: Shooter - Life's a Bitch

2 Gorgeous People Said --:

-=- jinx -=- said...

nyay! do so, tere. am very particular about pronunciations din. can still remember the looks madame segarra (syet! lingaw na ako kang spelling nya!) would give somebody if he or she pronounced something wrong. (it's pooh-pooh-reee" not "potpori" and "abatwa" not "abatoyr" you devil-woman of the mountains!) hahahaha!

would definitely not want niko to say "prut" din instead of "fruit."

kadtong aki pa ngani ako, pinapa-spell ko ng alphabet mga nagliligaw ko. hehehe. i don't want to hear an IS for S and a IL for L or a EP for F and a ZEY for Z! hehehe.

Tinggay said...

iu ngani. nakakapraning! habo pati kuta magsunod sako ta sabi daa kang teacher nia, prut. sabi ko sabihan nia si teacher nia na "eww" pronunciation. hehe. joke.