Mar 2, 2010

What Is the Sweetest Thing Anyone Has Ever Done For You?

I have become a complainer - a really, really bad one. Why if you will just sit down with me for a minute, I would definitely regale you with how awful I feel these days. You would get a graphic description of how my vomit looks like. So, if you do not want to end up hugging the toilet bowl yourself, stay away. I mean it. You do not want to be anywhere near me. I am a horrible complainer and sometimes, I enjoy it.

Poor Erbe, he does not have a choice. Well, he's the one who got me into this situation in the first place, so I do not think he should be given ANY choice.

The other night, I don't know what prompted me to ask him, but I did ask him, "Ba, sweet man ako?"*


Of course, he had to say yes and he did.

I asked further, "I-rate mo 8 to 10."

He answered, "8"

I was silent for a minute. 8, I thought. Then I asked, "Why 8? Shouldn't I be a 10?"

He answered, "Malumuyon ka naman kung 10. Garo ka na kayan linta."

oh, okay. That satisfied me.

The thought, however, led me thinking about the most thoughtful and sweetest people in my life. I used to be thoughtful. I don't think I am now. I used to buy flowers, card and cake for my mother on my birthday to thank her for you know, suffering the god-awful labor and eclampsia to give birth to wailing me.  I don't think I did that the last three years.

I used to draw people and give them their faces on their birthdays. I must admit it's a cheap way to give a thoughtful gift. I have the talent, why not use the darn thing to avoid buying something expensive.  I don't do that now.

I used to write hundreds of letters to friends. And I'd have friends quoting me to my face. It's flattering, but sometimes, I must admit I don't remember what I said. I can play with words, so I write pretty decent letters.  But now, I can't remember when I last wrote a carefully constructed letter.

When it comes to letters, I am quite inventive. I once wrote a letter to Erbe and inserted it inside a bag of chips. He was happily eating his chips when he came across the letter. Surprise! Surprise! He can't even figured out how I inserted it there.

I don't do this anymore. I have officially become a "married couple" - a boring one.

So, what about you?  Have you been asked, "What was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for you?"

If you will ask me this question, I'll probably start crying because I really can't think of anything anyone has ever done for me that would top what I have done for them - whoever the hell is them. (No, I'm not being pretentious).  I really am good with grand gestures. :)

Seriously! That's the problem. I expect too much.  I expect people to  pull off even more sweeter gestures.  Thus, the saying, thou shall not expect too much or a tarantula will bite your ass. (urgh. i bet there's a saying like that somewhere in Africa, in the small village of kubalookuckookitaku.. you really can't pronounce it, so take my word for it. There is a saying like that.)

When I try to think really really hard, the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me was this - pay for my wedding gown. Bessie did that. It costs her a nifty sum of money. This is why I'm so stressed out trying to figure out what to give her on her wedding day. Yes, Mr. Alex I-forgot-your-surname, she is getting married. THIS YEAR.

What about a guy you say? What is the sweetest thing a guy ever did for you? At this point, a lot of things and people come to mind.

(I am rambling.. forgive me..if you are still reading this, I applaud you. You must be so fucking bored and you have nothing else to do)

Anyway, I remember a High School and College Friend who can't get over her HS sweetheart. Anyway, that friend of mine had experienced the grand courtship. I mean it, GRAND. She was serenaded by our High School friends because this guy likes her.

One time, she was practically kidnapped by the guy and he brought her to the beach and he had a night picnic prepared for her, complete with effing bonfire!

Another time, he brought her up to a rooftop (I don't know where) and he prepared a romantic dinner for her complete with violins. Now, that's what I call courtship.

It was a great and all until he dumped her for her friend. That is why there is a saying in that same village in Africa, Be careful when dealing with a chicken, it may turn out to be an amoeba. Seriously, there is a saying like that.

(I am still rambling. Are you still reading this? Geeze, your life must be as pathetic as mine. Are you pregnant too? Isn't the vomiting the worst?)

Anyway, "sweet" brings to mind a guy a dated when I used to have a 24-inch waistline and my best friend is a beauty queen and not the effing toilet bowl.

This guy was a friend and we used a series of numbers as codes for each other. He used to host university events. Anyway, one time, he was preparing for this major university activity in the gymnasium. I guess he was testing if the microphone was working and he began calling out numbers - my numbers. I didn't hear it at first, but eventually I recognized the numbers because he was repeatedly calling them out. We were standing outside the gym, but we could hear him inside. It was silly, but it was one of those kilig-to-the-bones moment.

There were hundreds of students inside and outside the gymnasium. Nobody understood what he was saying except me. Yeah, he had his moments. But like my friend, he dumped me too - and I don't even know why. Seriously. I still don't. He's a good guy though. He knows he effed up.  That's all that matters. :)

Anyway, I haven't answered the question.  So, again, what is the sweetest thing a guy ever did for me?
Simple really, that guy married me.

oh, you can go back to your boring little life now. It must be so nice to have one. Just kidding!

:)

1 Gorgeous People Said --:

frankiekiko said...

ah....before i die, i hope to get that one grand gesture. just one. then i cud die na.hehe.