Feb 14, 2011

Happy V-day You Grumpy People You!

Daddy is far from being romantic  In fact, he is rarely thoughtful.  This is probably because he grew up with his grandparents who were not your touchy-feely type of people.  They literally live in a house precariously perched (exaggerated of course) on top of a mountain in Guinobatan, Albay.

Mamu and Daddikins

You see, my father's family was generally well-off back then - way before, my grandfather gave in to the lure of women, smoking, gambling and drinking.

When my father was born, however, this dull-witted fortune teller told his parents that he was unlucky - a jinx.  So, my grandparents gave him to my great grandparents from the time he was born until he was 14 years old.  He was dirt poor and he couldn't go to school often. Not surprisingly, he only learned to read when he was in High School.

Needless to say, my father has weird ideas about things.  He was rarely embraced or praised and he grew up to be the same.  He can't even say, "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary".   He's a kind man though.  He's an honorable man.  Still, he drives my mother nuts.

For instance, my mother's birthday and their anniversary come and go without my father bothering to greet her at all.  This pissed the hell out of Mama at first, but she grew tired of throwing fits. So, she does not expect anything from him anymore, especially on Valentine's Day.  It's sad really.  It does not mean, however, that they do not love each other to pieces because they do.  My mother is my father's soul mate, his love, his life.  Still, he drives my mother nuts - didn't I tell you that already?

Anyway, early this morning, Mommy asked, "Dy, anong aldaw ngunian?"
Daddy answered absentmindedly as he continued to solve the crossword puzzle, "Lunes."
Mommy prompted, "Iyo, pero anong date?"
Daddy answered, "katorse."
Mommy, undeterred, asked once again,"Anong bulan?"
Daddy, still refusing to look up from the puzzle, answered, "February."
Mommy asked, "Anong special sa aldaw na February 14?"
As if he was answering a knock-knock joke, my father asked, "Ano?"
Mommy walked out on him, muttering under her breath, "Gurang ka na talaga. Happy Valentines Day na lang daw saimo!"

After a few hours, she saw Erbe came in with roses for me. She was all giggly about it.

Girls, women... regardless of what they say about Valentines Day, they want something from you, men.  They want romance.  It doesn't matter how old they get - get them something! Do something nice for them! Trust me, they want romance. Period.

Anyway, Happy Valentines Day to you people. I don't care what you think about Valentine's Day. My husband gave me flowers - so, yeah, I am definitely liking this day.

1 Gorgeous People Said --:

-=- jinx -=- said...

i love your mom, tinggay! hahahaha!