Jul 26, 2006

The PLEASURES OF EVE


For the last few months, I have been researching on Lamaze techniques, studying and reading everything I could get my hands to in preparation for my labor and for the big day. There were number of times even that I quarreled with Erbe because of his - what seems to me - lack of interest in studying the Lamaze notes along with me. So, it is quite ironic that on the BIG day…

I did not go into labor.

Nope. I did not.

I woke up that day and I felt some discomfort in my pelvic area so I went to the doctor, had an NST and was told that Paige still had some cord coiling going on inside and the doctor said I was 1 cm dilated and I had to get into the hospital for observation because of the cord coil.

So, I got into the hospital and next thing I know Erbe elected for a cesarean section.

I slept peacefully through the night as I did not feel anything at all and woke up pretty scared shit the next day and I began harping on my kind husband about his electing to have me whacked up and so I went inside the operating room in a snit. I was thinking that I wanted to give Paige the chance to descend properly and if she can’t do it, then we’d do the hacking up option… but my hubby elected to not risk our lives so he signed the form.

Fortunate for me that my husband had that foresight because it turned out that Paige had three cord coils! And there is no way in hell she could have descended properly because the loop went through her neck twice, her armpit and her body!

Anyways, do you know how it is like to be operated on? I could actually feel the upper part of my body shaking from whatever the hell they were doing. I was rather in a stupor due to the spinal anesthesia, there were only five times that I was conscious:

First, when I heard Paige crying and I heard them saying, “Dakulaon!” Whatever the hell it was that was big. Probably my freaking ass! Because Paige is only 6.12 pounds!

Second, when a nurse brought her to me, I turned, saw her and said, (which mind you was the first thing I said about my baby), “Ay maputi man.” I kissed her and promptly went back to dark kingdom.

Third, when I was shivering bloody hell, begging for someone to cover me up because I knew I was lying there stark naked and this bitch of a nurse, was making fun of me, while another asshole was laughing along with her.

Fourth, when another nurse (a guy) made some kind overture for me. I heard someone said, “Ano ginigibo mo?” And the kind Samaritan said, “Hirak man kaya o..”

Basically, from that experience I learned that some nurses and doctors (even) have forgotten the fact that they are dealing with human lives and people with feelings – they seem to look at people in a purely mechanical manner and have forgotten the essence of their service.

Anyways, scratch that up to a really horrible nightmare. It was worth whatever humiliation I endured though for my little girl.

My sufferings did not end there, however, I had 40 degrees fever for days and then after that I couldn’t move because of this utterly severe head, neck and back pain due to the operation complications - heart enlargement and water in my lungs. Talk about the pleasures of being Eve.

I’m actually better now, still recovering though and having fun having my kind and poging hubby take care of me and having my baby in my arms.

By the way, she looks like me. Lucky for her, she got her Papa’s coloring because she got my nose! Hehehe.