Mar 26, 2011

Manila

I do not like going to Manila.  In fact, I avoid going as much as I can.  I do not go there unless I really, really have to. And I have to. And that sucks.  I really do not like the place for so many reasons.

First of all, I think that it is the saddest place on earth.  Okay, not the saddest - but it was the place where I felt the saddest.  The first time I had to stay there for a significant length of time, I found myself on my own - literally on my own.  I found myself eating alone and going to places alone.  I discovered that I like being alone when I chose to and not when it is enforced on me. The latter sucks. 

One time, I got caught up in the rain and I had to walked through thigh-high flooded streets to reach my aunt's house.  That was a 4-hour walk from Recto to Quezon Avenue. I wonder whatever happened to that girl I walked with that night.  I have forgotten her name and her face.


I got robbed there several times.  I found my bags slashed three times!  One time, I sat with a man on the jeep and I was so stupid  I didn't even notice that he was trying to slash my bag.  My friends couldn't say anything in fear that he'd stabbed me with the knife that he was holding.  I was probably lucky that night.
I had my necklace snatched from my neck.  Okay, he wasn't successful because I was too quick for him and I was probably stupid for using that necklace anyway.  I was going home that day - going home to Naga and I put on the necklace.  Stupid.  For months after that, I walked with my bag clutched in front of me - and I was in Naga already!

The last time that I had to stay in Manila for a month was in 2007, Bar Exams.  It was not that bad.  Probably because I had people with me all the time, so I never really felt alone.  Also, we were always ensconced in our condo unit studying 24/7. I think we were on the 19th floor - and you'd hardly hear the sounds below on that level. It was only when I looked out the balcony and see the skyscrapers from a distance that I'd be reminded that I was in Manila.

I felt the same way when I stayed abroad.  I think there is no place that would make me feel at home like Naga does.  Now, I am going to Manila for an opportunity to go abroad - and that sucks.  But one has to do what one has to do.  I just wish I did not have to go to Manila for this.

2 Gorgeous People Said --:

annie said...

Goodluck and God bless, Tere. Naga will not be the same without you. :)

sterndal blogger said...

been living in manila since birth and have no plans of moving to a new place. guess i love it here :-)

wow Bar exams ang talino mo talaga!

good luck sa pag-a-abroad

GB