Sep 4, 2011

Do You Remember Your First Kiss?

Someone asks me why I haven't been blogging. Honestly, I just lost that need to tell my stories. For years, I'd write a post here and there - and it was for this person. Just on an off chance that this person  might just be reading my blog. Now, I don't feel that anymore. I've lost that and along with it, I've lost the need to tell stories - my stories. The thing is I don't have to blog these stories anymore.


But then the other night, someone asked me why I haven't been blogging. This someone asked me to continue blogging.  "I enjoy reading your blog," I was told. I haven't decided to stop blogging - I just don't feel like it. But then, here I am, procrastinating on work and I decided why not write a post?  It's Sunday and it should be a lazy day.

And then, I thought what should I write about? And I came up with a blank. I honestly don't have a story to tell. Until I started browsing the Internet and I read this - 


"According to Sheril Kirshenbaum, a scientist at the University of Texas, a first kiss is likely to be one of your most vivid memories, even more so than losing your virginity. Kirshenbaum's forthcoming book says that the memory is so distinct that most of us are able to recall 90% of the details.



But how well do you remember your first kiss? Was it behind the bike sheds at school, a university fresher's party or an altogether less predicable location? Did you regret it instantly or did it lead to true love? We want the stories of your first smooch." (source: Guardian)
That's curious. Is it really possible to remember your first kiss, even more so than losing your virginity? Curiously, enough, I agree.

I am one of those lucky ones. I have a pretty good story.  However, I have heard of horrible first kiss stories. A friend of mine wishes she'd develop selective amnesia so that she'd be able to completely forget the memory of her first kiss. I guess, who can blame her. It was hardly romantic. The guy was stuffing her hand down his pants while he slaps buckets of saliva on her face. Hardly romantic, huh? No, trust me, it was not even passionate.  It was definitely not the first kiss you would like to remember - unless of course, you were that guy and it was your first kiss and you were going, "oh yeah! oh yeah!" in your head.

It isn't just women.  Men definitely have bad stories as well.  I remember this guy friend telling me he hated his first kiss.  He was drinking with his High School friends and some girls came in.  When he was really drunk, this girl dragged him outside the house and stuffed her tongue down his throat.  She wasn't even his type.  I would have thought that this does not matter to men.  And he was a teenager!  With his raging hormones, you would think it wouldn't matter to him, but apparently it did.

I think we can blame it all on Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.  If you did not have a deprived childhood and your parents read your fairy tales - or at least bought you Betamax tapes (yes, betamax), so you could watch Disney cartoons - you probably have imagined a Snow White moment yourself.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Some people have to live with the memory of a pimply-faced boy with raging hormones or a man-eating teenage girl. But then again, some people have good stories to tell.

I'm one of the lucky ones, so I've said. But then telling you about it would mean writing another blog post. I'll come around to blogging about how it all happened. one day.  For now, here is what I think about that perfect first kiss.

In order for a first kiss to be great, it has to be:
1. With the person you care about and who cares about you
2. the culminating moment.
3. Unexpected
4. during a moonlit night.

No. 4 is a tall order, so you can scratch that one out. But these things perfectly describe my first kiss. Now, if only I can remember who my first kiss was. I can't even remember if it was a girl or a boy. *wink

0 Gorgeous People Said --: