Nov 20, 2013

The Tooth Fairy


Paige lost another teeth.  And yes, we've been doing the whole Tooth Fairy routine.  Maybe someday, Paige will read my blog, so here we go, "Yes, baby, there is no Tooth Fairy. It was all just your crazy mother who has this insane need to create a bubble world for you where everything is sugar and spice, sweet and nice."

Why do I do that? Why?! Why?!


I mean there's Santa Claus - and for the first eight years of my life, I really did believe in Santa Claus, until my cousins ruined it for me.  I didn't know it was my aunt who was filling up our stockings with candies and money.  My older cousins figured her out and they didn't give a crap about ruining Santa for me.  So, for several years, we were all hanging up several socks - not one, or two, but several - so we can squeeze out boatloads of candies and coins from our aunt.

I guess, Paige will probably figure me out - maybe even before she loses all her teeth.  Yesterday, she lost another one (thus, the picture) and she placed her tooth in a box. I almost forgot about stuffing coins inside that box and grabbing the tooth until 5 o'clock this morning. I have been collecting her tooth. I realized today how icky and disgusting that is.

She'll figure it out sooner or later. Her classmate - damn his blasted parents - have been telling her the truth about Santa Claus, but being the twisted mother that I am - I lied to her face. I told her that her classmate is probably in the naughty list, so he didn't receive gifts from Santa last year.  I probably should give it up, but I still can't.

I still want her to enjoy her childhood. There is too much darkness and ugliness in the world. I want to protect her against all these harsh realities a little bit longer. So, for now, I'll be her Tooth Fairy.

Yesterday, I had a funny conversation with her though. 

Me: You have to go to sleep. The Tooth Fairy won't come until you do.
Paige: Why? Is she hiding something?
Me: Yes. You see, baby, the Tooth Fairy is gay. She is actually a man who likes to wear pretty fairy clothes.
Of course, she wouldn't believe me.

But who said I can't have fun with this Tooth Fairy crap?

~ o ~

I came across this quotation while reading the book, On an Edge of Glass by Autumn Doughton.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Staffstuff...we are made of starstuff. Fancy that.

0 Gorgeous People Said --: