Feb 22, 2007

Downfall vs Downful



Setting: Breakfast.
Cast: Mama, my sister and I. All married.
Topic of Conversation: Husbands and their egos.

Kris told us that 70% of a child's intelligence is inherited from the mother. So, as we are both relatively intelligent, we were telling Mama that she shouldn't be claiming that ours came from Daddy.
Mama in her aged wisdom deemed it her duty to tell us about the role of the wife ensuring that she will never let her husband feel that she is better than him.

Mama: ...yes, I know that I am more intelligent than your Daddy (no hesitations in saying this, shameless!) I just want to boost your Father's ego. You, two, should never let your husband feel that you are better. Make him feel he is better or more intelligent than you (at this point, I am in complete disagreement) . Don't put your husband down. It would be his DOWNFUL.
HUH?!?
His what mama?
My sister was silent. Thinking. I couldn't contain myself. I had to asked, "Downful? Ma, there is no such term." And promptly turned to my sister for confirmation. She nodded.
Mama was outraged, "Don't you know DOWNFUL?! Downful of the empire!"
Ah.
DOWNFALL.
And I got 70% of my intelligence from her. Is that correct? Seriously?!
*sigh. I love my mama though.