May 18, 2009

Googling the Past - Is It Worth It?


It’s surprising why many people consider that their happiness lie on their past. Seriously, why do some people dwell on their past? Why do people never forget someone from their past? The other day, I emailed one of my best friends to ask her if she has been reading my blog. I have this faithful reader from a particular country and I thought it was her. Well, she adamantly denied reading my blog. I should be offended but her reaction amused me because I’ve learned something from her – I discovered that my reader could be someone from the past just checking up on me. It got me thinking why people bother to check up on their past loves?

I’ve read somewhere that we never actually forget our first love, our young love. The power it has over us is often unique. Experiencing such strong emotions for the first time triggers a strong sense of self and acceptance. Often, it creates a tremendously strong bond.

Later, after many changes have occurred in our lives, we will find ourselves mulling over our choices. We find ourselves trying to work through regrets and remorse. We find ourselves accepting our choices. This is often accompanied by this strong yearning of wanting to go back. This ultimately triggers interest on people who were closest to us during those times when we could still have made different choices in life. Most people would eventually have closure and move on, but there are some who will constantly look for closure. These people can only have this by revisiting their past.

The Internet has made it so easy to “google” a former flame. There are no shortages of ways we can check up on someone. We can always start with googling someone’s name. Unless the person you are looking for is living under a rock, it’s almost impossible not to find the person. If he or she is in some social networking site, or if he or she blogs, you’ll find all the juicy details you’re dying to know.

Now, that’s where the tricky part comes in. You gave in to the lure of Google. Now, the question is, should you actually get in touch with the person? Are there potential consequences? Is it risky? Are the risks worth the closure you seek? In truth finding that closure can be dangerous. It’s not often you could come out unscathed of the encounter, claiming that all well that end’s well.



----------------
Now playing: Reba McEntire - Forever Love

0 Gorgeous People Said --: