May 2, 2009

Peebols, Peebells, Pebbles

People have this idea about who Erbe is. Usually, he’d be standing in the corner – just watching things. So, I guess, this blog kind of gives you an idea what Erbe is like when he’s around me.

Having had grown up in Lagonoy, he tends to harden his pronunciation of his “e’s” and soften his “i’s”. Now, being a Josephian, this is a major taboo in my vocabulary. Being called a pig in Grade Six just because I pronounced the word “climbing” as “claym-bing” instead of “claym-ing” is not a cherished memory. I usually find myself correcting Erbe’s pronunciation instantaneously every time he’d screwed up his language. This happens so often that we barely take notice of it or remember it until –

Me: Ba, ano itong sa Lagonoy na hinihigdaan nindo Ne Riza sa tubig, baybay?
Erbe: Dai, pebbles ito.
Now, he pronounced it as “peebols”.
A thousand bells started clanging on my ears, and I promptly said, “Anong peebols?”
“Peebols!”
“Sala ngani pronunciation mo, ayuson mo.”
“Peeeee-bols.”
Rolling my eyes, I said, “Sala, ayuson mo ngani.”
A paused.
And then he said in an “oh-i-get-it!” voice, “Pee-bells”
Pee-effing-BELLS!
I started laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing…
Pee-effing-BELLS!
Anyway, after my hysterical laughter, I prodded him more until he finally got it right.

He often makes me laugh in inopportune moments. Like this one time, I know he once called an ex, “the best thing that ever happened" in his life. He didn’t want me to know that but I read it in one of his notebooks, “(the name of the ex), you’re the best thing that ever happened to me." By the way, this ex will be so glad to know that.

Anyway, I often teased him about this. I’d say, “If she was the best thing, what am I? What is Paige?” This often makes him uncomfortable; he’d beg me to shut up. Until, last week, he finally figured out what to call me.

I am.

"The best happening in his life.”

Ya-ap. Hap-pe-ning.
You read that right.
My reaction, “Ano ako Sabado Nights?”






"Review My Post and Get Paid! Seriously!"

0 Gorgeous People Said --: