May 19, 2010

The Little Mermaid is a Spoiled Brat!

I have finally introduced Ariel to Paige. And as one would expect, my daughter fell in-love with the Little Mermaid. Who wouldn't? Singing fish and all that crap. Anyway, I wondered if it was wise to let Paige watch a movie where the witch died after the Prince killed her. Yep, it was not murder, but self-defense, but how can I explain that to Paige right now?

In the course of worrying about the part of the story, I realized that this movie has no moral lesson at all. Seriously. Ariel is a mermaid who is not happy with being a mermaid and wishes to be someone else she is not. She is 16-year-old girl who defies her father for this hunky dude who she has seen only once. And oh yeah, the movie requires that the Prince should fall in-love with Ariel within 3 days or the Octopus-Woman would own her soul. The mermaids and the father turned to worms because Ariel was a spoiled brat. This movie teaches my daughter all the wrong values.

At 16, she'd likely be complaining about how tired she is of being a human and wishes to be a fish or a duck or something even weirder. She'd fall-in love with the first hunky guy she sees and defy me at all cost just to be with him. She'd believe that she could make her fall in-love with her for 3 days. And then I'd turn into an itty bitty worm because the witch got her. Okay, I don't know where the witch came from but I figured she should be there because I am doing a parallelism here.

Anyway, Ariel, that freaking spoiled brat, got all she wanted in the end. Hell, the world just doesn't work that way. I hate this fairy tale.

But I hate the Jack and the Beanstalk story even more. How dare that Jack kill that Giant just because the poor giant ran after him? He fucking stole the giant's Golden Goose! That lying murdering thief!

This is why I am seriously considering Politically-Correct stories for Paige.

2 Gorgeous People Said --:

Summer said...

hahaha!

Fairy tales can come true
It can happen to you
If you're young at heart.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you may see Ariel as spoiled, but she had to give up her family to be able to be with the prince.. It's not like she received everything. For true love, she gave up family, which was also extremely important. The Little Mermaid may not have too many morals for children to learn from, but it's a great way to pass the time.