Apr 6, 2011

How I Removed XP Anti-Spyware

So, I opened my email and I saw this unassuming message from DHL Express (allegedly, of course).  Since I am waiting for something from my sister, my guard was down and I clicked on the email.  It didn't contain any other information but an attachment.  I usually do not fall for this kind of nasty fraud, but I thought, "What if Kris sent the package?" So, I clicked and then the attachment opened and then I run the file.  Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

It was only after I clicked run that I saw the extension. EXE. You can just imagine the colourful language that came out of my mouth.  Avast popped up with a warning, but it was too late. Boxes started popping and popping and popping.

A box that looks like a legit Windows box came up and started scanning and then it listed down viruses and malware and trojans and all the effed-up stuffs that will drive you to a panicked state. It claimed to be XP Anti-Spyware and then it said to buy the registration key. I have never bought anything online. I'm one of those miserable pirates.

Anyway, I grabbed Erbe's unit (since the virus hijacked all my browsers) and looked for registration key. It was only then that I found out that the "thing" asking for a registration key, presenting itself as a protection software is actually the malware itself. crap.

And then I started looking for ways to remove the damn thing. I had to run the system in safe mode, download malwarebytes  to Erbe's unit, copied the installation file to a USB and run it in my unit.  I ran malwarebytes and it was able to detect 3 infections. 3! just 3!

I ran the system in normal mode and I was frustrated to see the nasty pop ups. This went on for a couple of hours, with me trying to look for ways to remove the malware.  I tried installing spybot, but it was hijacked too.

I tried to manually look for the malware to remove it but I can't find it from the registry entries. I read from a forum the same thing happening to someone - and she was told to try system restore.  Anyway, I finally threw in the towel and run system restore. voila! the system restored and then I installed superantispyware, update it and run it. It didn't find any infections. I reinstalled malwarebytes, update and run it. It didn't find anything. I run ccleaner and cleaned the registry. Now, everything is all up and running. I wonder if I have really cleaned the system.

2 Gorgeous People Said --:

-=- jinx -=- said...

dear, pag naaarog kayan ang laptop ko and i can't get rid of the virus o malware and dai nade-detect kang antivirus and antispyware software ko, mina-system restore ako pirmi. hahahaha! yan na ang default kong panglimpya ng laptop. don't know if it's good for the pc kung pirmi mo gagamiton ang system restore, but it usually works and okay na sya. no problems after kang pirang system restores ko.

Tinggay said...

iu ngani jinx. :)
i deleted all restore points though ta baka infected din sinda and created a new restore point