Mar 5, 2013

The First Time


We all have that – that one perfect moment. Looking back, you’d wish that you had the presence of mind to take stock and remember every perfect little detail. It’s that moment when you are exactly at the right place at the right time to meet that one person you will remember for the rest of your life. It doesn’t even matter if you end up with this person or not – only few are lucky to have that happy ending.

I don’t know if you’ve had that...if you have met that one person with whom you seem to have that instant cerebral connection. It’s a meeting of minds that creates a strong bond. It may not last, but it’s so strong that you want it to.

I had that.  It’s not something you easily find. I think everyone has that though. I think once in your banal existence, you’ve probably met someone you are so in sync with. Someone you can talk to for hours. Someone who wants to listen to your opinions, theories, stories – and never get tired of them. Someone you can listen to for hours and still hunger for more.

I didn’t really think I’d like the film. Rotten Tomatoes gave it bad reviews, but recently, I have discovered myself downloading shows and movies without bothering to check out what they are about in the first place. And this is what happened here. I have this film downloaded and I was like, “Hm. What is this?” So, I checked out the reviews and plots, and I found out some like it, some don’t. So, yeah, what the heck? I have downloaded it already, so why not watch it, right?  I didn’t even realize that I like the lead actor and actress. I’ve seen their respective shows.

The film starts and I was hooked. Curiously enough, it has a considerably simple plot.  It’s a couple of teenagers’ love story – and I am far cry from being a teenager, but the whole thing dragged my ass to 1999 when I, myself, was a teenager. And I watched. The chemistry between these actors was exceptional.

I like how they dealt with the reality of sex and first times. They’ve captured the whole thing perfectly – the shame, embarrassment, ignorance, vulnerability. After all, sex can sometimes be overrated. But I like how they dealt with it. I think your first time, like your first kiss, should be special. It is not something you just get over with. But unlike your first kiss, it’s not something insignificant. It’s either you enjoy it or not, regret it or not. But the thing is, it doesn’t even matter if you did enjoy it. Most people don’t. What is important is that you don’t regret the person you were with. After all, everyone loses their virginity eventually. Oh, scratch that. Not everyone.

So, yes, I did like this film. Dare I say, love it even.  Rotten Tomatoes reviews be damned.Winking smile



0 Gorgeous People Said --: