Oregano (Scientific name: Origanum vulgare) is also known as Wild Marjoram, Mountain Mint, Origanum, Wintersweet and Winter Marjoram.
A picture began circulating in November. It should be "The Picture of the Year," or perhaps, "Picture of the Decade." It won't be. In fact, unless you obtained a copy of the paper, you probably will never see it.
I have never been affected by any story as much as Baby P's story has affected me. Yesterday evening, I found myself sobbing twice! I just can't get over the sheer horror of the story.
In my country, it has never happened before that the media and the people have been forbidden to actually reveal the names and faces of TC and SB, the murderers of Baby P.
Over the holy week break, I spent the entire four days just watching the 15 episodes of this Korean show. Yes, I am a self-confessed Korean drama addict. I already have my favorite actors and actresses; albeit, I don’t know their names.
Jan 25, 2010
Jan 22, 2010
So, what should I blog about? It's not too often that I have the time to blog these days. I miss blogging as much as I miss reading Jinx' and Tinay's blogs. What's up with you people? Are you on blogging leave as well? Tinay, you last blogged on January 1. What's up with that?
And Jinx, you last blogged on the 11th, talking about your FV River. After that, nada.. zinch. Although I can always look for other bloggers, reading strangers' blogs are not half as fun as reading the blogs of people you actually know. I'm glad to have Luna's blog. She updates regularly. Speaking of which, I really love this post of hers. Check it out.
Anyway, I have decided to do a "What-You-Probably-Don't-Know-About-Me" post. Since, it's my blog - I can be as narcissistic as I want to. If you don't like it. leave.
So, here are the top 25 things you don't know about me - whoever the hell you are.
1. I sing Happy Birthday every time I wash my hands. I do it very, very, very slowly.
2. I don't like Mascots - oh, you know about that. Truth is, I pretty much don't like anybody except my friends, family and Oprah.
3. I like to watch commercials whenever I brush my teeth.
4. I wore braces for 8 effing-long years!
5. I rarely admit my mistakes. If I have to give in, I just opt to change my mind. :)
6. There are only a few people whose opinion I care about. I often tell the rest of the world to eff off.
7. I am only able to sleep if I have a blanket covering half my head and body.
8. I have a severe case of allergic rhinitis. I am used to it.
9. I had a heart ailment when I was a kid. I was supposed to die before I turned 3. I guess I refused to which just shows how stubborn I am.
10. I see ghosts. I don't like seeing them.
11. I used to be a spirit medium for treasure hunters until my mother discovered what I was doing.
12. There are only two people in this world who really know me inside and out - my sister and my husband. They even know "the me" that I don't even know about.
13. I don't like dwelling on problems. I don't like ignoring them either.
14. I can't keep secrets - oh, well, everyone knows that. Of course, there are secrets that I struggle not to tell. :) Still, I have to admit - I STRUGGLE.
15. I am not a typical mother. I'll leave it at that.
16. I count to 30 every time I stir coffee, milk or juice.
17. I often find myself criticizing everyone on TV. It's a bad trait. I don't apologize for that.
18. I am very, very talkative, but in truth, I'm really shy. Oh, hell, you are raising your eyebrow over this.
19. I have friends who are truly my friends, but I also have people who think that I am their friend. This does not mean of course that they are mine.
20. I used to slap my sister when we were little. I was a little bitch, I know. Sorry about that, bi. In my head, I thought it was okay. My head was already screwed up even back then. I am also sorry for punching you after that chess fight. :(
21. I hate Christmas.
22. I backbite.
23. I often have recurring dreams of my mother leaving for Brunei which just shows how much that setup screwed up my childhood. Of course, we grew up surprisingly well. Still, there are nights when I'd wake up bawling and crying. Yes, sadly, this still happens.
24. All of my friends are friends - or I just think they are.
25. I'd kill for my daughter.
I'd leave this at that dark note. :)
Jan 20, 2010
I feel like I am in a roller coaster that just wouldn't stop no matter how much I scream. It's like that time I was in an actual coaster holding Paige, screaming and screaming for the damn thing to stop, scared to death. Yes, I am in an emotional roller coaster.
My only consolation is that I am no longer facing crossroads. I am glad that I have finally made a decision. Yes, it will take three years or so, but at least now I know exactly where I am going. I should have had this thing figured out when I was 22 years old. I thought I already did, but life took me on an unpredictable route - an exciting one but not necessarily something I want. So, basically, I'm back on the effing drawing board - scratching, scratching, scratching.
I have lost people along the way and I have come to terms with that along with the fact that I have come to terms with losing some of my dreams. After all, I can always build new ones and I can always build new relationships and friendships. Still, when I am silent - so very, very silent - I can hear my soul sighing. It is not easy to give up on people - or dreams. I have a lot to be grateful for, but sometimes I tend to forget that I don't necessarily have to have everything just to know that I am blessed - because seriously, I am. Some people have it worst, so I figured I should just shut my trap and stop complaining for god's sake!
Still, I have been depressed lately. In truth, I cannot pinpoint exactly what I am depressed about. I guess I am depressed about turning 30 this year. I am depressed about that fact and what it means when I look back. It's not that bad, I guess - some would say. It's not. But it's not certainly that wonderful either.
I sometimes console myself with the thought that everyone has something missing in their lives. It's just that fair that I won't have everything. After all, I have what most people are probably looking for - love. It's a damn cliche, but hey, guess what, it's true.
I find myself worrying a lot about my friends. Erbe thinks I shouldn't worry too much. I do. I worry about Tinay. It doesn't help that she wrote me that email which drove me to a matchmaking frenzy. I worry about Settie. I worry about Bessie. I worry about Lynette and Tin. Hell, I even worry about the fact that Cheryl doesn't take her prenatal vitamins. I am a worry wart and it's not good. I can't do anything about these things after all. I wish I can though. I wish I can give the people I love whatever they want with just a snap of my fingers.
My fingers are still numb. I am struggling to write, so I guess I'd better end this. I don't want my fingers falling off.
Jan 17, 2010
...enjoying a glass of red wine while working. That's a start. There's some benefits to being an employee of a chef. You learn about haute cuisine and wines.
No, no, no. I don't plan to become addicted to wines. After all, I don't plan on becoming an alcoholic. AA Meetings are not my thing - if there are even AA meetings here. I just want to enjoy the finer things in life in my own little way.
Oh yeah, Erbe is having a glass too while watching a movie. I did not harp on it. In fact, I gave it to him. I figured, one glass wouldn't hurt.
One good thing about being an adult - your parents wouldn't give you hell for enjoying a glass of wine.
Jan 12, 2010
Erbe is a very private person. It took me some time before I can extricate stories from him. He hates rumors or entertaining them. He keeps things to himself and he rarely shares stuffs. He doesn't get mad at anyone - except me. Of course, I am the only person he allows to see him vulnerable. I think I am the only person with whom he is truly himself. He is genuinely a kind person; although it can be a bit irritating because I am far from being kind. I speak my mind and I often get into trouble because of this. In truth, Erbe and I are the complete opposite of one another.
Anyway, a couple of years ago, Erbe's Aunt Lerma told me a story about my husband. It's a story that I would like to share.
It was 4 o'clock in the afternoon. She was hurrying home, holding the right mango she just bought. The fruit looked so delicious she was excited to eat it. She thought it would be even more delicious if a little bit chilled. So, she thought of placing it inside her Mamay's refrigerator first.
Her Mamay's house is just right across their own house, so she thought her mango would be safe. She can leave it for an hour at least and she could eat it once chilled.
So, she entered the house, went to the kitchen, open the refrigerator and carefully placed her mango inside. There, she thought.
She went outside the house and entered their own house.
After an hour, she remembered her mango. It must be so cold now, she thought. Her mouth practically watered at the thought of eating the ripe fruit. So, she hurriedly went to her Mamay's house and run towards the kitchen. She opened the refrigerator and she saw her mango.
She reached for it and picked it up expecting a chilled fruit. but the whole thing crashed on her hand!
She started fuming. All that was left of the delicious fruit is it's skin. The whole fruit was cut into two, the flesh was eaten and the skins were carefully cupped in order to look like the mango wasn't at all touched!
She was so furious. She instantly knew who the culprit the was - it was that Noy Pat. Now, she began planning her revenge. How can she get back at that little brat without her Mamay getting mad at her too.
Just then she saw him. He was acting oh-so-innocent - as if he wasn't guilty of anything. Oh, but she knows. She knows exactly what he did!
Erbe forgot that he ever did this until I reminded him. He began laughing and admitted that he indeed ate the mango and placed it back, carefully positioning it like was never touched.
Erbe's Aunt Lerma is a big-shot executive at Jollibee Corporation now. She regularly travels to Europe for business stuffs. She swears Philippine ripe mangoes are the best. She still hasn't gotten back at Erbe for eating that mango a long time ago.
Jan 10, 2010
Come to think of it, I have a lot of things to say. I guess I should try writing now. Whatever comes out of these ramblings -
- Somebody called me up, offering me an office-based job. The job is perfect for me because it involves writing and law. Unfortunately, it will require me to work in Manila and that's not something I can do right now. It'll ruin all our long-term plans. A part of me though wonders if I should just go ahead and accept the position. Like you, Tinay, the idea seems repulsive. This work-at-home job has ruined office-based jobs for me. Nothing beats being able to watch TV and sleep anytime you feel like doing so.
- I have a lousy temper these days. Poor Erbe is suffering. He has been complaining that I can't seem to go to sleep without quarreling with him first. *sigh. In truth, everything just irritates the hell out of me these days. Oh well, it must be THAT time of the month.
- A fire broke out downtown a while ago. We had been having problems with power connection since then. There was a huge blaze that we could see all the way here. What I thought were clouds were actually smoke. Mamu wanted to actually walk all the way to Centro just so we can see the fire up close. She was very, very insistent as you can see - erm, I mean hear from this video. The light flickering from the distance is actually the supermarket on fire.
- Got these pictures from Settie during our reunion. These photos made me smile, but they made me sad as well. God, we were so young and the world was still ours to conquer. Guillen was still our friend at that time. I think the last two photos though were taken during our senior year in College. We look a bit grownup. I look like I have just went through a major breakup. :) I think we had these pictures taken when we went to have our yearbook photo taken as well.
- I love this video of Paige. It's her imitation of me. Little mini-me. :)
There. I blogged. Check!
Jan 5, 2010
Jan 2, 2010
It touches on destiny versus pure circumstance as well. It is an intriguing piece of work; although the main character Tom (played by Joseph Gorden Levitt of GI Joe and 10 Things I Hate About You) is a bit of a pansy Nancy. He fell in-love with Summer (played by Zoeey Deschanel) who didn’t believe in love in the first place. This didn’t stop him from pursuing her.
The whole movie worked on a non-linear script where the story goes back and forth along the characters’ relationship timeline – all 500 days of it. I love the Expectations versus Reality part of the film where Tom came to Summer’s party with certain expectations, only to be disillusioned by the reality. These two things are shown simultaneously, so you will be able to see the stark difference between the two events.
Tom irritated the hell out of me though when he went into the deep end after Summer broke up with him. I have never gone into the deep end after a break up, so I absolutely cannot relate. Also, it is a bit weird to have the little sister of Tom (played by Phoebe Caulfield) dishing out romantic advices, still I loved the little girl.
No, Tom and Summer did not end up together. Summer actually married another guy that she believes she was destined to be with. Tom was disillusioned but the last part of the movie showed otherwise.
This whole thing made me think of my friend who broke up with her “soul mate” and the “love of her life”. She thinks that everything ends there. She thinks that she was meant to be with him. Perhaps, that is not true. Perhaps, we are meant to lose people along the way in order to end up with the person we are really meant to be with.
Like Tom we need to stop regretting the losses. We need to think back on the relationships and see them for what they really were. After all, there were lots of bad times along with the good times. Seeing these relationships and these people for what and who they were will likely put things in a different perspective. Perhaps, we can finally let go of the regrets and see that we are really meant for something or someone even more wonderful.
Perhaps, we can finally truly appreciate the person we are with.