Jan 20, 2012

En Route to Alcoholism Lane

I still feel like shit. Maybe my friend is right, I should just go right ahead and change the title of this blog to Rants of Oregano Addict.

My life isn't really miserable like I said. It's just that I haven't been sleeping well. Oh, I do sleep, but for the life of me I can't sleep for more than 5-6 hours!  I don't function well when I don't sleep for at least 8 hours.  I turn into a first-class bitch first-class depressed bitch. Anyway, I thought I'd try the alcoholism route. I thought I'd try a glass of red wine. Maybe it'll give me a little buzz, just enough to treat my sleeping problem.  This lack-of-sleep-induced depression has me thinking of my favorite Paolo Coelho book, Veronika Decides to Die.

If you're a bookworm like me, you've probably read Coelho's books.  You see, Coelho has taken the world by storm, but I find his writing a bit pretentious.  He likes to use words and characters that will try to get the readers to think and ultimately feel stupid for not seemingly getting exactly what Coelho wants to convey.  But that's just my opinion.  However, Veronika Decides to Die is far from being pretentious.  It's enlightening.  If you haven't read it, then you should.  You'll learn to see things differently.  You'll wake up, stand in front of the mirror, put on your tie and think, "I'll be damned, Coelho is right!"

This book is actually a fairly short novel. It's a book which will help you see normal as abnormal and abnormal as well, quite normal.  For instance, I've mentioned about the tie.  Society dictates that you get up in the morning, put on a tie and go to work. At the end of the day, you come home and you remove your tie and for a single second which you often barely notice, you feel so fucking relieved to finally get rid of the blasted tie.  Now, who told you to use a tie when you so obviously hate wearing one?  That's right, so-ci-e-ty and obviously, we follow what society dictates for after all, a deviation from the norm is automatically branded as abnormal or erroneous.

The book attempts to convey a simple message: you can conform OR you can rebel against the norm.  Choosing the latter allows you to unlock all your desires and live life the way it is meant to be lived. We don't always have to conform.  Sussette once told me that she'd rather choose insanity over suicide.  She said, she could run naked and it'd be okay.  After all, she wouldn't care.  Sometimes, we have to give in to bouts of insanity.  We have to experiment and realize our capacity and capability.  We can't do this if we worry about crooked ties and wrong fonts.

If you ask someone right now, "What would you do if you have a month to live," you can expect a bucket list of dreams and desires. Ironically, everyone lives for tomorrow and not for today, so they won't likely do a single thing in their list today.  We forget that we all live a fragile existence and we can't keep on waiting for tomorrow to happen. The fragility of our existence allows us to go a little crazy sometimes and do what our heart tells us to do. 

Now, what is on my bucket list?  I'll post my list as soon as I get my 8-hour sleep. After all, that's the number one on my list, sleep for as long as I want.  Speaking of sleep, I should finish my wine now and hit the sack.  By the way, if you bothered to read all that, that could only mean one thing, YOU LOVE ME OR you have nothing else better to do. :)

1 Gorgeous People Said --:

vare said...

as for me, i love reading your posts :) but i have lots of things to do hehe