Apr 6, 2009

Chip Tsao and My Reaction to His "Satire"

You have probably heard of Chip Tsao and his controversial article The War at Home. But have you read the article? I just did and I was surprised. Contrary to the public outrage, I was amused. In fact, it left me laughing out loud.

I know it is these lines - "as a nation of servants, you don't flex your muscles at your master, from whom you earn most of your bread and butter" -- that have inspired anger. It is the words "nation of servants" that have offended many people. I, however, gave out a snort once I heard it. I even muttered, "Well, there's some truth to it." Didn't you think the same? It is sad but poverty has forced thousands of people to work as domestic helpers - and the government is benefiting from this "export". I was still a bit outraged though, so I was surprised when I read the article. It left me giggling and laughing at the picture that was painted especially at the end of the article. Conrado de Quiros explained the article well.

Anyway, here is the full text of The War at Home -


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

continuation...
hawkish American military behind them, but we have a hostage in each of our homes in the Mid-Levels or higher. Some of my friends told me they have already declared a state of emergency at home. Their maids have been made to shout 'China, Madam/Sir' loudly whenever they hear the word "Spratly". They say the indoctrination is working as wonderfully as when we used to shout, "Long live Chairman Mao!" at the sight of a portrait of our Great Leader during the Cultural Revolution. I’m not sure if that's going a bit too far, at least for the time being.


It's funny, right? Well, I think so. If you will ignore your outrage over the "nations of servants" bit, you will find that it's a fairly good satire. Perhaps, it will have you giggling too. :)

If you really want to giggle though, you should check out this article of The Professional Heckler.




"Review My Post and Get Paid! Seriously!"

0 Gorgeous People Said --: