Aug 28, 2009

Full Circle

Do you know that thing they say -- that you would only understand your parents when you become a parent yourself -- yes, that thing? I finally understand what people mean when they say that. And it's true. It's very, very true.

As you probably know, we didn't have our mamu around while growing up. When we were little, she'd only come home for a month-long Christmas vacation. So, whenever she was home, I'd insist on her sleeping next to me. I hated it when I would wake up and she'd be gone, or sleeping next to my sister or our father.

I wouldn't come to bed until she'd lie down herself. I often irritated the hell out of my father. I also insisted on using her arm as my pillow, so I'd be able to really scoot next to her.

Fairly natural, right?

I used to see it from my point of view. Now, I also see it from her point of view.


You see, Paige is exactly like me. She wouldn't go to sleep unless I'd lie next to her. She'd insist on using my arm as her pillow and my other arm wrap around her. It'd take 30 minutes or more before she'd be able to go to sleep. She'd do a lot of fidgeting and talking. Trust me, if you would try this position - and with a scoliosis to boot - you would not feel your arms after 30 minutes or so.

Needless to say, I have come full circle - from being a daughter to being a mother. Now, I appreciate mamu more for her willingness to bear with numb and painful arms just so I'd be able to go to sleep. :)

0 Gorgeous People Said --: