Apr 27, 2008

The Pain of Loss

"What hurts me the most is that I know he didn't want to die. He had so much to live for. Why did we have to go through all those trials when in the end, he'd be taken away from me..."

This is what my friend said while we were talking about Mike, her husband.

She just didn't have the time to prepare herself for that huge loss in her life. Some people have that blessing, but not her.

The night he died, her cellphone rested on top of their bed's side table. Mike was outside their room. She shouted at him to set the alarm on her cellphone because she was going to wake up early the next day. That night was that mundane. She went to bed and a couple of hours later, she heard him screaming.

"I was that dependent on him. I could have set the alarm myself but I still had to ask him to do it for me."

Mike agreed.
Sadly, he never got around to setting the alarm.

"That's how I know he did not come to bed."

There are people who are taken from us so suddenly. Even they, themselves, did not have time to prepare for it -- for death. It truly is heartbreaking to see the pain they left behind.

Anyway, these are my depressing thoughts for tonight. Ironically, my thoughts have been provoked by this movie I just finished watching.

It's Hilary's Swank, P.S. I love You.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The Synopsis:

Holly Kennedy is beautiful, smart and married to the love of her life - a passionate, funny, and impetuous Irishman named Gerry. So when Gerry's life is taken by an illness, it takes the life out of Holly. The only one who can help her is the person who is no longer there. Nobody knows Holly better than Gerry. So it's a good thing he planned ahead.

Before he died, Gerry wrote Holly a series of letters that will guide her, not only through her grief, but in rediscovering herself. The first message arrives on Holly's 30th birthday in the form of a cake, and to her utter shock, a tape recording from Gerry, who proceeds to tell her to get out and "celebrate herself".

In the weeks and months that follow, more letters from Gerry are delivered in surprising ways, each sending her on a new adventure and each signing off in the same way; P.S. I Love You.

Holly's mother and best friends begin to worry that Gerry's letters are keeping Holly tied to the past, but in fact, each letter is pushing her further into a new future. With Gerry's words as her guide, Holly embarks on a journey of rediscovery in a story about marriage, friendship and how a love so strong can turn the finality of death into a new beginning for life.


It truly is a beautiful, beautiful story. It's not just your typical chick flick. It's a bittersweet story that would have you crying and laughing and crying and laughing all at the same time.

I did.

But I can't help but think how unfair it was for my friend to lose her husband like that. I wish she could have had Holly's story. I wish Mike has 10 letters prepared for her.

"I know that the toughest part will come. When this (the funeral) is all over. I wish this could go on and have this wake for years and years. I just don't want to bury him. He has left this void -- I know, that will never be filled."

Sadly, Mike does not have letters for Irene.
Not a single one.

I wonder what's harder losing someone who did not want to leave or losing someone who wanted to leave?

13 Gorgeous People Said --:

The_Sphinx's World said...

this touched me so deeply, Pie. I've asked my sons to find the movie for me. Guess it would hurt more if you lose someone who didn't want to go away. If it's someone who wanted to leave, there will at least be hatred to drive you away from remembering. Tell her not to stop remembering, but tell her too that she has to go on with her life. Her husband wouldn't want to see her lose herself. She has to move on, no matter how painful it is...

My heart goes out to her.

SheR. said...

I don't know which is harder my dear..
But a friend of mine lost her father at the age of 8. Her father collapsed in front of her. Died of fatigue.
She tried to relate with me as we both grew up without a father.
However, it is more upsetting for me cos she will always have memories of a loving father. For me, I will have no memories of any sort and an abandonment issue that affects my life forever.

Anonymous said...

I saw that movie on the airplane last week. Terrible thing to start crying on an airplane. Your using that movie in comparison to your friend's grief brings forth the magnitude of that grief. My best wishes to your friend, and her safe passage into her future.

Tinggay said...

Sphinx, you'd love the movie. I wish we could have that too -- letters to guide us through our grief whenever we lose someone we love.

Sher, I think that's your answer. I believe that the loss and grief of a person cannot be compared to another. To him or her, his or her grief will always be real and beyond compare. I'm sorry about your Father.

Tam, I'm glad you're back! :)

Unknown said...

Oh Pie, this is such a touching post. I cannot imagine my husband be forever be gone in my life.My life would feel so incomplete. There are times I wish we could live together forever but of course that is not possible.

I really feel for your friend.I wish her all the strength she need to recover from this. It would not be easy but I wish her all the best.

Anonymous said...

Sad ... ayoko ng sad :(

Anonymous said...

Hi pie...Yes its true..about the pain..hehhee
Ps..can u share your knowledge how to make the post exactly like you did.Its the same but you have to click Read More...how did u do it pie..just curious "xenxa na booba me kc ha ha ha puede free consultation lawyer ka pa naman.Anyway about your question danielle steel movies yes they have DVD's and Nora Roberts too.I started collecting them all when i come here...plus Nora Roberts but its very expensive online...on Danielle Steel i'm so happy that my friend here...has 13 because i got the new danielle steel dvd's collections.

Tinggay said...

Hi, jade -- yeah, I know. I can't imagine not having my hubby around as well. I'm pretty much dependent on him too.

Junelle, oo nga..medyo sad talaga.

hi allen's beautiful wife, I forgot how I did it. I made some research in blogger about how to add "Read More"
I lost the URL of that website.
I'm really curious about the Danielle Steele movies. Is there a Message from Nam?

Brian H. Gill said...

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your friend's husband. My condolences to her, and the prayers of my family are with your friend, her husband, and all her friends.

earthlingorgeous said...

my condolences to your friend.

death even though how prepared we think we are for it because it's an absolute thing to happen and loss of a loved one is always painful.

this seems like a good movie, I'm a sucker for romantic films, I'll try to find it or ask my hunny to dload it for me :D

happy said...

hi there! finally got the chance to blog hop.been too busy lately.

Beth said...

Death is only certain things on earth. We just don't know when's our time.

Anonymous said...

and I thought this one is for real. But it's just a movie? or did I misinterpret something?