Apr 22, 2008

Weapon Against Ghosts and Nightmares

Yesterday, I was working late and I realized that I had seen a dead man's body that day. It was Mike but he was dead nonetheless.

A believer in ghosts (because I've seen them so many times before), I freaked out and decided to sleep. So, I jumped into bed with my husband. It was so hot so I asked my husband to move a little but to make sure he had his back touching mine.

This is a weird habit of mine.

I grew up without my Mother. So, my sister and I were forced to watch each other's back even against ghosts and bad dreams. We shared the same bed when growing up and when one of us is scared we'd usually positioned ourselves with our backs against each other.

I have carried this habit to adulthood.

One time, I happened to talk about this with her and she was laughing because she still shares the same habit. It's funny how much your childhood could influence you huh?

11 Gorgeous People Said --:

Unknown said...

I do that too! And when my husband is away on business trips I would put pillows next to me so that I have something next to me...

Someone told me once,I should not be afraid of dead people because they can't harm me, I should be more afraid of the living.LOL

SheR. said...

I had to hold my fiance's hand in sleep when I can't sleep!

Happy Earth Day! :)

The_Sphinx's World said...

First, I want to express my condolence to your friend. This is the time of her life when she needs you most, Pie. I've lost my parents and two brothers and the emptiness will never leave though the pain of losing them has perhaps dulled with the passing of time.

Second, my best wishes to the new mother. And for a happy moment like this, she also needs a friend to share her joy.

Third, do not fear the dead. They're gone and if and when their spirits come back, it would only be to say their final goodbye.

Brian H. Gill said...

Greetings,

I'm Norski, from BlotCatalog.

First, my condolences about Mike and all who knew him.

Second, I think this came up in a previous post of yours - many congratulations to the new mother. (And, please: Don't feel guilty. We get joy and sorrow in this life: it's part of the package. There's no sense feeling bad about the joy we're blessed with.)

Third, my wife is the same way, so your habit can't be too weird.

She's got different reasons, though: we've had bats in the house, and a few other critters. Also, she slept with her sisters, and likes to have someone to back up to: at least, that's what I've figured.

Tinggay said...

Jade, It's nice to know someone shares the same habit. I used the pillows too when my hubby is not around!

Sher, my husband does that. He likes to hold my hand when he sleeps. :)

Sphinx, I keep telling myself not to be scared of the dead. But I have scared myself silly for so long. And seeing "spirits" my whole life does not help at all with the affliction.

Brian, please tell your wife she's not alone. Halfway around the world is a woman who shares her habit. And of course, there's Jade who's in Singapore. :)

Anonymous said...

ps: care to link exchange with my new site? posted up an article on my blog. read it there po..!

Anonymous said...

yah its weird but its true...it happens to me always eveytime i saw a dead man my god i can't sleep the whole night....i saw his face everywhere i go..

pen said...

hi pie.. blog hopped and your entry caught my eyes :)

i used to have nilalangs in my room that kept bugging while i sleep. i am used to it though :) but what my mom advised me to do, is to put at a bundle of at least 3-5 broomsticks under my bed. weird but it worked..i still have the broomstick hehehe!

tc!

AmyOops said...

This might sound crazy, but i learned it in cassadaga, Fl. before bed repeat a mantra, mine was i ask that me sleep state be a positive, happy, place.

since then i havent the reoccuring nightmares.

cherry said...

I haven't seen any ghost my entire life but I know they exist. They can scare me all they want. Just don't scare me while I'm driving.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how our habits stick with us!