Oct 30, 2008

Vote America! Vote!


Ok, I know I'm located across the globe, but I'm really excited about the US Elections. I am really hoping Obama wins. I like the guy the first time he appeared in Oprah -- and that was even before he actually filed for candidacy. He seemed to down-to-earth -- so real.

Anyway, the more I followed his campaign, watch videos and read articles about him, the more I think that he'd really pull it off. What it? Get America out of its stunted economic dump. Unfortunately, the truth is that a better USA means a better world for us all -- well, economically speaking.

Besides, I'd really want to witness something monumental. Obama winning the election will be history in the making. Martin Luther King, Jr. will probably say, "Now that's what I'm talking! Now, we're really talking!"

I think I am probably sharing the same hold-your-breath anticipation. I have my fingers crossed, but at the end of the day, I shrugged my shoulders and say, "Well, anything can happen. McCain can still win." It's like you feel like you know the conclusion -- with Obama leading the polls -- but you can still feel your heart pounding. It is a powerful emotion, considering that I am halfway across the planet.

The thing is that Obama's probable victory represents something truly monumental. It is a historical victory - a victory that was once thought unimaginable. Blacks have faced centuries and centuries of racism. I've never shared any prejudices against any race -- although I think there are some races that needs to wash their armpits and put on a deodorant. Forgive me but my experience in Brunei' buses stuck with some Malays and Indians is not something I can easily forget. Still, I have never shared any racial hatred, so I don't understand racism. I believe, however, that racism roots down to stupidity and ignorance. Period.

So, I want Obama to win. Not only because he represents the change but also because his victory will represent the defeat of racism and the victory of a cause that many have been fighting for -- equality.

Anyway, I'd like to share this video.



0 Gorgeous People Said --: