Feb 3, 2008

My Autobiography in 528 Words

My mother could not accept that I was her daughter. I was just too ugly to be hers. No, I’m not bitter about that now. Anyway, that’s how my story started. It’s not such a great start but that’s the truth.

I was born on March 15, 1980 and was 8 pounds 3 ounces. My mother developed a gestational hypertension while going through the labor process. I don’t know if you actually developed hypertension that quick but she’s sticking to that story anyhow. She named me Theresa. Unfortunately, I was named after my dead cousin.

My father claims that he took the placenta and buried it, giving it the ceremonial respect it deserves – all to ensure that I grow up healthy and wise. He buried pictures of the pope and Einstein along with it. Ironically, my aunt claims the same thing. I still haven’t told them that they’re both claiming the great honor of burying my twin-placenta.

I grew up in a little barrio which is about an hour away from Naga City. My mother was then a teacher in a local elementary school and my father was a farmer. My memory of those five years in that barrio basically consists of three things: buying sardines on credit because my parents were too embarrassed to do so themselves, waking up at night to make sure that we have something to catch the water leaking from the roof, and Santa’s gifts at Christmas.

However, my mother decided to go to Brunei to teach and yes, make money. So, she went to Brunei and we (my father, my little sister and I) moved to the city. I then spent the next 12 years of my life studying in a Chinese Catholic school. Ironically, after 12 years, I only learned how to write and speak my name – Hu Sha Show; and in my opinion, it’s a pretty ugly name. I can't help but compare it to my friend's name, Chay Li Ly. Now, why wasn't I given that name?! You see, it was our Chinese teachers who gave us the name when we were in 5th Grade and we were stuck with it until we graduated.

I then went to College and was bullied by my father to take up Accountancy. Well, I hate numbers so I got by without really making an effort to excel in the course, which to my father’s thinking is a waste of a good brain. I still haven’t decided if I agree with him.

Thereafter, I took up law and three months before graduation, I got married. No, I was not burn at stake because I was pregnant. In fact, I even graduated. I have just finished taking the bar exams last September. It was not an easy ride. It was tough. Now, I am waiting for the results of the bar exams. To kill time before I pursue a lofty career, worthy of my aunts’ respect, I am working as an online writer. The income though barely covers for my daughter’s diapers and milk formula.

So, there you go, my life in 513 words.

0 Gorgeous People Said --: